Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts for a GUI (Primitives) Library
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-08 03:37:22

Joel Falcou wrote:
> On 08/09/10 06:28, Artyom wrote:
>> Let's start:

0. Come to agreement on what the scope of such a library would be
>> 1. Use "native" widgets or not
>> 2. What strings should be used? std::string, std::wstring, custom
>> string like Qt's QString or GTKmm's ustring?
>> 3. What about event loop:
>> 4. What about OS support. What GUI systems are you going to work
>> with: 5. What 3D rendering would you use?
>
> Let's finish, there is nothing here than a proper concept based,
> generic design can't solve using policy, strategies and ad hoc
> customization point.

uh-oh - step 0. is just about impossible to accomplish. But the
subsequent steps can't be done without this one.

This current discussion is typical of others which happen from
time to time. It's happened with GUI's before. To summarize
it's

a) Let's build a gui library
b) Let's agree on what it should be like
c) Let's agree on how it should be implemented

It's an approach which is doomed to failure in my opinion.

a) scope is ever exanding to satisify "everyone"
b) it's too much design by comittee. The result can't help
but lack conceptual integrity.
c) It's too much like "waterfall" development. Any effor
of such a scale get's feedback as the project progresses.
d) It's too ambitious and requires too many resources.

To make progress in this area. Someone has to:

a) define a doable task
b) do it
c) submit it for everyone to pick at it
d) go back and re-do it
e) loop until it's accepted.

Not everyone will like it. But it's only important
that a significant number of people find it useful.

It's still possible or likely that such efforts will fail
due to the difficulty of the task and the tenacity
required.

Robert Ramey