Subject: Re: [boost] [chrono] Split into Stopwatches, Chrono, Ratio and TypeTraits.ext
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-08 06:51:23

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:24 AM

> Roland Bock wrote:
>> On 09/07/2010 09:53 PM, vicente.botet wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The dependencies are:
>>>
>>> Boost.TypeTraits.Ext
>>> Boost Ratio
>>> Boost.Chrono -> TypeTraits.Ext, Ratio
>>> Boost.Stopwatches -> Boost.Chrono
>>>
>>> You are right. It make no sense to revie a library until its
>>> dependencies are accepted.
>
> Hmmm- what happens if a pre-requisite library isn't accepted?
> Does that mean that the subsequent one can't be? Or does
> it mean that the subsequent one can be only if it includes
> the pre-requisite library as an implementation detail? Does
> that make any sense.

The dependencies to the TypeTraits extension could be added on a detail implementation, but I think that John want them to be integrated on without review :)

I don't think Ratio should be included as an implementation detail of Boost.Chrono.

And the last, if Boost.Chrono is not accepted, Boost.Stopwatches could be reimplemented using other duration types, but I don't think I will have the energy to do that.

Anyway, I expect that all TypeTraits.Ext, Ratio and Chrono will be accepted, as these libraries just implement what is already specified on the C++0x standard. So I don't expect any dependency problems.

> This has actually come up before but has never been
> addressed explicitly - nor satisfactorily in my opinion.

Please be free to start a new thread to address these possible issues, if you consider it needs to be addressed in a more satisfactory way.

Best,
Vicente