Subject: Re: [boost] [Locale] Preview of 3rd version
From: Cory Nelson (phrosty_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-11 05:35:20

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Artyom <artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> There is a lot of  software that packs files
>> together inside a zip or another container, for  better or worse.
>>

> But it also become unzipped before it runs... You can't run exe from
> zip archive, it always previously unzipped to some temporary location.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean as a distribution format, but as the primary
data store used by the application. Some apps (it sounds like Joël's
is one) keep their assets in a .zip or some other container, separate
from their executables. One good example would be in games, where
such virtual filesystems are quite popular as a way of efficiently
grouping files and portably reducing I/O and fragmentation.

Perhaps you could let users supply a functor open_file(filename), and
they can choose to open the path however they want, from whatever
source. The default functor would use what you currently have. Would
this be prohibitively difficult?

--
Cory Nelson
http://int64.org