Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.SQL?
From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard (jeremy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-15 16:58:30

On 09/15/2010 01:36 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2010, at 1:58 PM, Mathias Gaunard<mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Relational algebra is the way databases work, and SQL is the standard language to express relational operations.
>
> Yup.
>
>> Are you suggesting to create a language to query objects trees rather than work with relations, like Object-Relational mapping does?
>
> I was just saying what I, as a non-DB person, would prefer. I hate having to re-learn SQL every time I want to do a simple filtering or query operation.

You may just shift the problem to having to re-learn a non-standard
query language represented in C++ syntax every time you want to do a
simple filtering or query operation. :) (I think it is unlikely that
something substantially simpler to learn/remember than SQL will be devised.)

By sticking with SQL, if you then have to do some query in another
language or not using the same library, your knowledge will transfer over.