Subject: Re: [boost] New Book: Introduction to the C++ Boost Libraries, Volume I - Foundations
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-22 08:28:19

> > 1. Hire a professional to do the typesetting. The typesetting is
> horrible,
> > you never typeset a book with text aligned to left instead of
> justified aliment.
>
> Reasonably convincing research suggests that 'ragged right' is faster to
> read
>
> http://core.ecu.edu/engl/tpc/MennoMenno/ftp/williams%202000.pdf
>
> - it's only 'Professional Web Designers and typesetters' who ignore this!
>
> It may look less neat and tidy, but it works better, and I prefer it.
>
> Function First! It's meant for reading, not looking pretty.

Ok... you miss the head of the article "The display information on the **WEB**"

This is totally different for books. You will never find book that typeset
with "ragged right" Also, it is known that the length of the column (at least
in English) should be in average at most 66 letters for good reading. Doing
very wide columns make text hardly to read.

Open any book printed in good typography and count it... You'll be surprised.
In this "book" the average is 90 which is much harder to read.

Generally the typesetting is horrible. I can point about many other significant
mistakes that were done in typesetting... But I just say: use professional tools
and professional person who can help you.

Microsoft Word 2007 is by no means typesetting tool!

Artyom

P.S.: I have not so bad knowledge in typesetting as I developed
      tools for better Hebrew support in LaTeX (BiDiTex), so I
      know a little about it.