Subject: Re: [boost] [serialization] incompatible archives from 1.43 to 1.44
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-22 14:52:12

Sergey Voropaev wrote:
> Robert Ramey <ramey <at> rrsd.com> writes:
>

>> Correct on all points. I am aware of the track item. I believe
>> that I've addressed it at least in some cases. Unfortunately I've
>> been bogged down in other stuff.
>>
>> I would recommend that uses
>> not use binary archives with 1.42 and 1.43.
>>

> What is wrong with 1.43? I had tested part of our projects with boost
> 1.43 and I had not found any problem. But tests were preliminary and
> not complete. What possible problems will be in serialization 1.43
> version?

Actually that may work. The problem only manifests itself when
one reads a binary archive created with 1.42 (and I believe 1.43)
and read with 1.44.

I did not use 1.42 version.
> My plan now is to upgrade our projects to 1.43 and stabilize system.
> Or it is better to wait 1.44.1 or something like? What are your
> recommendations?

I recommend using 1.44 if one is going to use binary_archives

I believe that 1.44 is already released (www.boost.org)

> About "six" version number problem. As I believe, in 1.43 there are
> not problems with "six" version. Binary file has "7" version number
> in 1.43.

And this fix-six changes the version # of 1.42 files to 7 from 6.

Robert Ramey