Subject: Re: [boost] [guidelines] why template errors suck
From: Roland Bock (rbock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-24 14:48:15

On 09/24/2010 06:00 PM, Eric Niebler wrote:
> This is borderline self-promotion and I fretted posting this. But we a
> community of advanced C++ library developers and I'd really like
> feedback about these issues. And they really do involve Boost library
> development. If we could reach agreement about these techniques, we
> might want to integrate them into Boost's coding guidelines.

http://cpp-next.com/archive/2010/09/expressive-c-why-template-errors-suck-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

Reducing those tons of template error message gibberish and adding
descriptive error messages is a very good goal, IMO. Especially when it
comes to messages from the deepest bowels of boost::xyz::detail...

To consider and report overly long error messages as errors could help,
indeed. I am not sure though, if there will be simple rules as to when
something really should be taken care of?

Regards,

Roland