Subject: Re: [boost] [constrained_value] Constrained Value review results
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-08 07:01:48

Robert Kawulak wrote:

> >> Using "bound" or "bounds" seems misleading to me. The object
> >> represented by the type is a bounded value, not value of
> >> the bounds.
> >
> > I was using "bound" as a verb in those cases: "ct_bound"
> > means bound at compile time. According to reference.com,
> > "bound" as a noun is usually in the plural, so I didn't
> > confuse "bound" as a noun in my suggestions, though I can
> > see how others might.
>
> You mean "bound" as past participle of "to bind", so "ct_bound" would
> mean something that has been bound (i.e., "binded") at compile time? I
> think the operation we want to express is bounding rather than
> binding...

I see the bounds as being applied at compile time, so it is bound to the specified range at compile time, so, yes, I meant the past participle of the infinitive "to bind." That the bounds continue to apply at runtime after having been bound at compile time is not, I think, the principle distinction.

> > My suggestion was to make "ct" a prefix akin to "static_"
> > in static_cast and static_assert. I do like the parallel
> > with "rt," so I would prefer these:
> >
> > ct_bounded<int>
> > rt_bounded<short>
>
> The former is the subset of the latter, so "rt_bounded" is not a good
> idea since it may represent objects with compile-time-fixed bounds as
> well. I think just "bounded" is the best.

Strictly speaking, runtime bounded is not a superset of compile time bounded, because one cannot choose to do either with the runtime bounded class, right? Both types apply range checking at run time, and both behave like the underlying type (insofar as possible). The differences, then, are when the bounds are applied and whether they can be changed at runtime. Considering that the former is a characteristic of the latter, the principal difference is whether the bounds can change at runtime. Thus, "bounded" is insufficient for the runtime version as that name implies both categories and does not clearly suggest the runtime variability.

-1 "bounded"

> 2010/10/7 Krzysztof Czainski <1czajnik_at_[hidden]>:
> > I prefere sufexes, becaluse then the part of the name, that
> > brings most information comes first:
> >
> > bounded_ct<int> x; // bounded at compile time of type int
> > bounded<int> x; // bounded (at run time) of type int
>
> I agree with you for the same reason.

We are certainly accustomed to postfix notation for many things, so using "ct" and "rt" as suffixes won't be harmful, and the names will sort lexicographically together in many contexts with the suffix. My preference still is for the prefixes, but I don't much mind the suffixes.

> Moreover, if you start typing "boun..." in an IDE, its
> autocomplete will show both the options, so it has a small
> productivity advantage too. ;-)

Not using such a facility, that bears no weight with me, but if you do, I can imagine it will carry some weight with you. However, don't get carried away by that idea since few will be typing those names particularly often, at least in normal code. The names of objects of those types will be used far more often.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]