Subject: [boost] Boost Evolution
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-08 14:46:33

Boost is getting bigger and bigger. This is a good thing.

The Boost header directory and boost namespace is also getting bigger and
bigger. This is starting to become a problem. I would like to see:

a) new libraries not add headers to boost directory or namespace.
- with the possible exception - of "convenience headers" which include all
the other headers
for a library. Personally I don't like these, but since one doesn't have to
use them its
not a huge deal.

b) authors of existing libraries which are implemented in boost
directory/namespace
would be encouraged to migrate them to a lower level.

c) a couple of "catch all" namespaces/headers would be required such as
"utility" for small libraries.
I'm somewhat confused about "detail". If it's an implemenation detail
of a particular library it should be in that library. If its a useful
function
which is shared by several libraries, it should be in something like:
"unreviewed". And of course these should have thier test and documenations
in the corresponding "lib" subdirectory.

As boost get's bigger and bigger, it gets harder and harder to install
just a part of it. But installing just a part of it is what users need to
become
confident about it.

I realize that we've been circling around this topic for a while, I just
want
to keep it alive.

Robert Ramey