Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Evolution
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-08 15:29:39

At Fri, 8 Oct 2010 10:46:33 -0800,
Robert Ramey wrote:

> Boost is getting bigger and bigger. This is a good thing.
>
> The Boost header directory and boost namespace is also getting bigger and
> bigger. This is starting to become a problem.

Specifically, how? I don't like it either, but I'd like to know what
the real-world effects are.

> I would like to see:
>
> a) new libraries not add headers to boost directory or namespace.
> - with the possible exception - of "convenience headers" which include all
> the other headers
> for a library. Personally I don't like these, but since one doesn't have to
> use them its
> not a huge deal.
>
> b) authors of existing libraries which are implemented in boost
> directory/namespace would be encouraged to migrate them to a
> lower level.
>
> c) a couple of "catch all" namespaces/headers would be required such as
> "utility" for small libraries.
> I'm somewhat confused about "detail". If it's an implemenation detail
> of a particular library it should be in that library. If its a useful
> function
> which is shared by several libraries, it should be in something like:
> "unreviewed".

But in general it's not unreviewed code. It was usually part of a
library that passed review, and then the code was factored out. So it
doesn't have the same standing as a Boost library, and it may not have
any user-level documentation, because... it's an implementation detail
of various Boost libraries.

> And of course these should have thier test and documenations
> in the corresponding "lib" subdirectory.
>
> As boost get's bigger and bigger, it gets harder and harder to install
> just a part of it. But installing just a part of it is what users need to
> become
> confident about it.
>
> I realize that we've been circling around this topic for a while, I just
> want
> to keep it alive.

Don't worry, Ryppl isn't dead either; it's just been quiet for a while
;-)

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing