Subject: Re: [boost] Accelerating algorithms with SIMD - Segmented iterators and alternatives
From: DE (satan66613_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-12 13:04:42

lets talk about x86 a little
since there is a wide variety of processors from celeron to i7 and
ones from amd which may or may not support mmx or sse1/2/3/4 or avx or
some other unintelligible weird thing which in turn is known (i guess)
only at run time
so my question is: do you expect code writers which want their
binaries work across all modern x86 processors (starting with pentium)
to write plain version along with accelerated one? or will your
implementation fall back to plain old say x87 when sse2 is not
available so the writer could write only one version of source?

i guess everything above is applied to power and arm platforms as well

--
Pavel
P.S.