Subject: Re: [boost] Accelerating algorithms with SIMD - Segmented iterators and alternatives
From: Smith, Jacob N (jacob.n.smith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-12 13:30:12

While a little awkward to program in, the use of "auto" allows multistatement optimizations. However, unless you want *very* awkward coding, the control flow will always be transparent to a C++ DSEL optimizing library. The hard part of vectorization (and what defeats most compilers) are the complexities inherent in handling control flow; I don't mean simple things like loop unrolling, I'm thinking of loop invariants, loop lifting (commutativity of operations across loops), loop pipelining (distributivity of operations between loops), etc. Even "well behaved" codes for shaders in 3d graphics contexts are very branch-y now-a-days and require sophisticated compilers to allow kernels to fully utilize the hardware.