Subject: [boost] License question
From: David Bellot (david.bellot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-13 08:23:36

Hi guys,

I'm working on a new library for some specific A.I and machine learning
problems and I will release it as a Free Software of course.
However, I wonder if you guys can enlighten me regarding license.

This library will be template-based for some parts and compiled for other
parts. I don't want to restrict users in what they're doing with the
library, I mean they can use it for open-source or closed-source products.
However, I want to decently protect my work and because it's template-based
and can be used in commercial products, I don't want someone to do
closed-source fork of it and all those kind of things...

I selected to candidates: Boost and LGPL.

So question:
 - do I have to use a Boost license or a LGPL license ?
 - and why not using GPL directly or is it too restrictive ?

Thanks for your help,
David (also boost::ublas maintainer when not doing statistics ;-) )

--
David Bellot, PhD
david.bellot_at_[hidden]