Subject: Re: [boost] [phoenix] request for a mini-review. (Re: Phoenix as a Boost library)
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-16 03:55:18

On 10/15/2010 4:41 PM, Joel de Guzman wrote:
> Anyway, having said that, just keep in mind that people have been
> clamoring for phoenix and I'd prefer something done sooner rather
> than later. We can tweak the library later as long as the main interface
> (not the extension interface) is stable. And it has remained more
> or less stable for a long time now. IMO, it should be a priority to
> focus on the remaining incompatibilities before anything else.

Hmm, good point.

> IMO, phoenix has surpassed the Boost bar even at V2. Interestingly,
> the bar has been set higher for this particular library due to
> other factors such as putting on the shoes of lambda, the
> inter-operability and proto, etc. I think it's about time to
> finish up and conclude that it is "good enough" :-)
>
> I'm sure, thanks to you, Eric and all the amazing people here,
> that it'll get better over time. But let us get it into boost
> first.

Thomas is currently assessing the suggested extension point design. If
he likes it, it wouldn't take long to add it. The mini-review was
precisely to assess the Proto port---I personally would like to hear
feedback about the intermediate form and extensibility points since
that's a major new feature of Phoenix3. But it's your call, and you make
a valid point: we'd be serving a huge community by doing this sooner
rather than later, and I'd be happy either way.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing