Subject: Re: [boost] [phoenix] request for a mini-review. (Re: Phoenix as a Boost library)
From: Thomas Heller (thom.heller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-16 09:34:18

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 10/15/2010 4:41 PM, Joel de Guzman wrote:
>> Anyway, having said that, just keep in mind that people have been
>> clamoring for phoenix and I'd prefer something done sooner rather
>> than later. We can tweak the library later as long as the main interface
>> (not the extension interface) is stable. And it has remained more
>> or less stable for a long time now. IMO, it should be a priority to
>> focus on the remaining incompatibilities before anything else.
>
> Hmm, good point.

Definitely a good point. Though, most of the stuff that doesn't work
just yet was very difficult with the current intermediate form. That
is why I started the discussion about that new design. So, even if the
top level API is fixed (it was fixed already before, no real breakage
between V2 and V3), I think we should focus to get the things behind
the scene right so people are not getting used to the current
intermediate form, which makes changing it very difficult. Let me
remind me you what we were advertising for phoenix3 ... We simply can
not hold on to all that with the current intermediate form.

>> IMO, phoenix has surpassed the Boost bar even at V2. Interestingly,
>> the bar has been set higher for this particular library due to
>> other factors such as putting on the shoes of lambda, the
>> inter-operability and proto, etc. I think it's about time to
>> finish up and conclude that it is "good enough" :-)
>>
>> I'm sure, thanks to you, Eric and all the amazing people here,
>> that it'll get better over time. But let us get it into boost
>> first.
>
> Thomas is currently assessing the suggested extension point design. If
> he likes it, it wouldn't take long to add it. The mini-review was
> precisely to assess the Proto port---I personally would like to hear
> feedback about the intermediate form and extensibility points since
> that's a major new feature of Phoenix3.

I agree. I will work on this new extension point design tonight.
Additionally, I still would like your comments on that current
discussions. Since it still is your library, and I don't feel very
comfortable changing such a major part of the design without your
accommodation.

> But it's your call, and you make
> a valid point: we'd be serving a huge community by doing this sooner
> rather than later, and I'd be happy either way.

Yeah, people are waiting on it ... I was waiting on you to look and
comment on my recent effots to change the intermediate form. Whenever
a decision about that was made. It would be a matter of a few days to
get phoenix3 ready for a mini review.