Subject: Re: [boost] [1.45][website] binary serialization fubar, website needs updating (was: Beta next week?)
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-17 02:13:07

Robert Ramey wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> Robert Ramey wrote:
>>> Bryce has re-implemented the xml_loader in terms of the the
>>> current version of spirit. This is something that people have asked
>>> for and he has stepped up and done it. He has coordinated with me
>>> and has run all the serialization tests with his new code on his own
>>> machine. I've endorsed trunk access privileges for him (weeks ago)
>>> but as far as I know nothing has happened. I would have hoped to
>>> see his code tested in the test matrix by now.
>>
>> What's wrong with applying a patch yourself?
>
> Ahhh - that's a very good question. I have a very good reasons for not
> doing this.
>
> First, it's not just a "patch". It's recoding the xml_parser in the latest
> version of spirit.
>
> Second, it's not just "applying the patch". It's also monitoring how
> the tests go on all the platforms in the matrix. It's often the case
> that some or other combination of os, C++ compiler, standard library
> implementation or whatever fails and then one has to spend
> an unexpected amount of time tracking down the problem.
>
> It's also quite possible that this is not the end of it. When it get's
> unleashed to users, it's possible that other issues will arise. I see
> this as unavoidable since spirit pushes the envelope of what
> some compilers can do.

I am not sure why you think that giving Bryce SVN access
automatically makes those issues handled by him -- at least,
SVN documentation does not mention such effect ;-)

> So, I could say I don't have the time right now - and it would be
> true.
>
> I could also say I have more urgent issues regarding the library
> which should be addressed first - and that would also be true.
>
> I could also say I work with pottery barn rules - "you break
> it - you bought it" (pottery barn is a chain of stores in the US
> which sells pottery and other fragil objects).

[Aside: I was surprised at idea that US laws even permit such
practice, and yeah, Wikipedia claims this shop does not have such
practice and it's illegal anyway]

- Volodya