Subject: Re: [boost] [1.45][website] binary serialization fubar, website needs updating (was: Beta next week?)
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-17 13:17:35

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Robert Ramey wrote:

>> It's also quite possible that this is not the end of it. When it
>> get's unleashed to users, it's possible that other issues will
>> arise. I see this as unavoidable since spirit pushes the envelope
>> of what
>> some compilers can do.
>
> I am not sure why you think that giving Bryce SVN access
> automatically makes those issues handled by him -- at least,
> SVN documentation does not mention such effect ;-)

It's got nothing to do with SVN. It's really a matter of allocation
of responsability and authority. Bryce want's to upgrade the
xml_archive implemenation. He's convinced me that he's willing
to do the work. So I've decided to give him the responsability for
doing this and along with that I delegate to him the authority to
make the changes. Of course, along with that authority goes the
responsability to maintain the conceptual integretity, testing standards,
portability, etc of the library (such as they may be). The only way
any effort on this scale can be successful is to permit the decoupling
of efforts by dividing the job into pieces and delegating responsability
and requisite authority to those interested and qualified.. SVN supports
this - as it must but's not really about SVN.

>> I could also say I work with pottery barn rules - "you break
>> it - you bought it" (pottery barn is a chain of stores in the US
>> which sells pottery and other fragil objects).
>
> [Aside: I was surprised at idea that US laws even permit such
> practice, and yeah, Wikipedia claims this shop does not have such
> practice and it's illegal anyway]

lol - damn - another urban myth busted.
I'm disappointed it's not true for the pottery barn.
But I can tell you for a fact that it's true for the serialization library.

Robert Ramey