Subject: Re: [boost] [1.45][website] binary serialization fubar, website needs updating (was: Beta next week?)
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-17 13:25:35

Bryce Lelbach wrote:

> Mhm, thanks. Seems an extra ; from another serialization change broke
> things on older gcc variants (I fixed it).

Welcome to my world.

> Ramey, it looks like the new XML grammar breaks on Intel's compiler;
> according to the build logs the compile timed out, so I'm guessing icc
> chokes
> on the expression templates. I don't have access to a machine with
> icc, but I'll work on getting that fixed.
>
> (I've built and tested already on MSVC 10 and Linux; I'm pretty
> confident the only other new failures will be borland, sun and maybe
> MSVC 6)

Borland broke with spirit 1.8 and MSVC 6 broke with the
introduction of optimization of some collections for binary archives.
No one has complained about lack of support for these compilers
nor has anyone offered to spend any time on it so I can conclude
that it's not worth spending anyone elses time on it.

Pending issues for the serialization library that hope to see
fixed soon.

a) screw up that prevents loading binary archives created by
some previous versions of the library.

b) an auto linking issue which shows up as a warning when linking
with msvc, and failure to build the library with MINGW.

c) The sun compiler in the test matrix fails to build because
an usage of locale inhibits the stream build. I don't know if this
is an issue the the standard library implemention being used or
what. I'm guessing it would be too hard to fix for someone who
has that compiler and an interest in addressing it.

Robert Ramey