Subject: Re: [boost] Version information for Boost library
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-17 15:57:16

On 10/17/2010 5:36 AM, David Abrahams wrote:
> At Fri, 15 Oct 2010 20:31:19 -0400,
> Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>> Does Boost have any policy regarding the way version information
>> should be attached to a library ?
>
> I don't even think I really understand the question. Could you be
> more specific?

For a given Boost library, or a library in the sandbox, what is the
usual way of indicating to the end-user what is the version of that
library ? I am thinking of nn.nn version number schemes, although
nn.nn.nn.nn are more common in Windows and Linux.

I understand that for a library which is part of the Boost distribution
the version is essentially the distribution of Boost in which that
library is included. But if Boost does pursue a means by which
individual libraries can be updated and distributed separately I think
that each library needs a way to tell the end-user what "version" it is.

For libraries in the sandbox, is there any usual way to indicate to the
end-user what "version" of the library is there ?

Obviously I can just choose my own way, which I have done, but I am
wondering if there is some more standard Boost way which has been discussed.