Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] home_directory_path
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-20 14:49:08

Christian Holmquist wrote:
> On 20 October 2010 11:42, Alexander Churanov
> <alexanderchuranov_at_[hidden]>wrote:
> > 2010/10/20 Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]>:
>
> > > Common knowledge. Windows is a single user system with multi-user
> > > functionality overlaid. All users have full access to C:\.
> >
> > I'm afraid that isn't true. Search using google for "vista
> > access to C drive".

Well, not being a Vista user (or Windows 7 user, for that matter), I've never run into that restriction. Given XP's market share, it's an awfully good proxy for Windows generally, however.

> If we disregard historical reasons for why things behave as
> they do on Windows, to me it's quite clear that C:\ (or the OS
> root drive) is not each user's $HOME path. They may or may not
> have write access outside their own My Documents (or Users) but
> that doesn't change anything. You can setup a NIX system that
> way too probably, allowing full access everywhere. $HOME would
> remain however.

No one ever suggested that C:\ was a user's home directory. Quite the reverse. I suggested that making the home directory be the equivalent of My Documents was tantamount to using C:\ instead of My Documents.

> Are those people advocating for $HOME on Windows to be
> anything else than My Documents really Windows users?

There was a suggestion of using the %USERPROFILE% directory, I think, and of the Desktop, but the consensus has been largely to use My Documents.

> IMO Boost.Filesystem should follow best practices for each
> supported platform, and using C:\ as default user folder or the
> obscure USERPROFILE is IMO not good practice on Windows.

You're fighting yourself on the C:\ idea and I don't think there was strong support for USEPROFILE or Desktop, so I think most everyone agrees with you to use My Documents on Windows. The thornier issue is what to use on POSIX systems.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]