Subject: Re: [boost] Report # 29 (aka 1.45 blockers) is too narrow
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-26 14:33:38

On 10/26/2010 7:35 AM, Jim Bell wrote:
> On 1:59 PM, Eric Niebler wrote:
>> And what if an accepted showstopper isn't getting fixed because the
>> maintainer is busy? ...
>
> I think we need a new batch of volunteers to help.

We need another sprint, and we need to call out bug triage explicitly as
a service we'd like people to volunteer for. Having such volunteers on
an ongoing basis would be very, very nice. As jobs go, it's particularly
inglorious, but I think you've identified a real need.

> I don't want library
> authors to think they're taking on a ball and chain for writing a
> library: an endless series of tickets spanning the gamut from user error
> to legit show-stoppers.

That is the reality of being a boost library author. As the author and
active maintainer of 4 boost libraries, I know the pain. But if you want
people to actually USE your code, you have to be ready to deal with
complaints. If you can't commit to fixing bugs, don't submit a library
to boost. That said, if an author can convince some volunteers to help
out with this sort of stuff, then all the better.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing