Subject: Re: [boost] Will 1.45 incorporate active regression tickets?
From: Patrick Horgan (phorgan1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-01 02:22:15

On 10/31/2010 08:11 PM, Marshall Clow wrote:
> ... elision by patrick >8 ...
> While I'm not a release manager, I looked at a few of them; and I'm wondering if there's a disagreement here about what constitutes a "regression".
>
> To me, that means that the code has "regressed", or gotten worse.
> Something that worked in a previous release no longer works - that's a "regression"
You're right. It has two common meanings in bugs:

1) a trend or shift toward a lower or less perfect state
     i.e. there's a new bug that didn't use to be there.
2) a movement backward to a previous and especially
worse or more primitive state
     i.e. a bug that was previously fixed is back, or a
new feature has disappeared.

The second one can sometimes be deceptive when a new
bug appears with the same symptoms as an older bug.
People are quick to assume a regression, but it could
be a new bug.

All bugs are bugs whether they're regressions or not.

Patrick