Subject: Re: [boost] Will 1.45 incorporate active regression tickets?
From: Jim Bell (Jim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-01 09:04:30

On 1:59 PM, Patrick Horgan wrote:
> On 10/31/2010 08:11 PM, Marshall Clow wrote:
>> ... elision by patrick >8 ...
>> While I'm not a release manager, I looked at a few of them; and I'm
>> wondering if there's a disagreement here about what constitutes a
>> "regression".
>>
>> To me, that means that the code has "regressed", or gotten worse.
>> Something that worked in a previous release no longer works - that's
>> a "regression"
> You're right. It has two common meanings in bugs:
>
> 1) a trend or shift toward a lower or less perfect state
> i.e. there's a new bug that didn't use to be there.
> 2) a movement backward to a previous and especially worse or more
> primitive state
> i.e. a bug that was previously fixed is back, or a new feature has
> disappeared.
>
> [...]
> All bugs are bugs whether they're regressions or not.

I was defining it more tangibly as yellow on the regression matrix, but,
yes, that could be from something going from green to yellow (your
definition) or something going from not-being-there-before to yellow
(i.e., a new platform).

Could someone nail down the definition in the appropriate place (Wiki)?
This would be important for the new wave of volunteers being discussed.