Subject: Re: [boost] [1.45] Beta 1 release candidates
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-06 13:57:59

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 11/6/2010 12:09 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> > [1.45] Beta 1 release candidates are available at http://boost.cowic.de/rc/
> >
> > As usual, please report success or failure doing builds. We like to get
> > reports of successful builds on several varied platforms before the files
> > are pushed out to SourceForge and the formal announcement made.
>
> Beman,
>
> We're still showing active showstoppers for 1.45
> (https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/report/29). If we ship anyway, we need
> to have a discussion about what "showstopper" means, and we need a
> policy for what to do about them prior to release.

I'm mainly look for problems that would prevent large swaths of Boost
from being used on a given platform. Thus #3550, bootstrap.bat not
running on x64 Windows, would appear from the name to be a
showstopper. But I tried the bootstrap procedure on my 64-bit Windows
7 system, and it seemed to work as expected. None of the others looked
serious enough to hold the beta, although...

> I suggest that we make a concerted effort to contact the maintainers in
> question and see what their plans are for addressing these bugs. If the
> maintainers say they're not showstoppers, we correct the bug's priority.
> If they can fix them in a reasonable amount of time, we hold the
> release. If we can't reach them, or if they can't provide a fix in a
> reasonable time, we bump the Milestone to release+1 and ship with a BIG
> warning in the release notes about serious outstanding bugs.

That seems worthwhile and useful, before the actual 1.45.0 release.

> Also, for future releases, we need to notify maintainers early that they
> have active showstoppers assigned to them. Perhaps we can even set up
> automatic daily nag mail as the release approaches.

That sounds well worth trying. Are you volunteering to set it up for 1.46:-?

--Beman