Subject: Re: [boost] [1.45] Release v trunk, as of r66483
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-10 11:25:19

On 11/10/2010 11:00 AM, Frank Mori Hess wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 November 2010, Jim Bell wrote:
>> Here's a list of all differences between release and trunk, as of r66483
>> (this morning).
>
> Why are you posting this? In the boost svn repository, the trunk isn't
> really a trunk at all. Releases aren't branched off it. Trunk and release
> are just two parallel branches whose files might or might not be
> synchronized piecemeal as individual library maintainers see fit.

I personally find reports like this interesting and useful. Trunk and
release are not supposed to be radically different. When they are, it
becomes difficult to move changes from trunk to release with any
reasonable expectation of success. And it's all too easy to make changes
to trunk and forget to merge them to release. That's what this report shows.

Library maintainers: The release branch is closed for all but major bug
fixes. But after 1.45 is out the door, PLEASE merge stuff that's ready
to the release branch.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing