Subject: Re: [boost] [1.45] Typeof fixed, point release?
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-21 17:48:58

On 11/21/2010 5:34 PM, David Abrahams wrote:
> At Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:27:46 -0800,
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>>
>> Eric Niebler wrote:
>>> I have just fixed the typeof problem on the release branch. (I've also
>>> verified that it makes the common_type regression go away without
>>> causing additional failures for either the typeof or type_traits
>>> libraries.)
>>>
>>> I know it's not our policy to issue point releases, but totally
>>> breaking
>>> a major header (boost/type_traits.hpp) for a primary test compiler
>>> (msvc-7.1) seems like a good reason to make an exception. Does anybody
>>> feel otherwise?
>>
>> Since msvc-7.1 doesn't appear in the test matrix for the release version
>> I don't see how it can be considered a primary test compiler.
>
> +1
>
> Now, maybe the answer is "we messed up by not noticing that our tester
> upgraded to vc-8" or something. But either way, the release managers
> have to decide if this is important enough to issue a point release.
> VC-7.1 _is_ getting a bit long in the tooth at this point...

Our release notes for 1.45
(http://www.boost.org/users/news/version_1_45_0) list msvc-7.1 as a
primary tested compiler. If we're going to drop msvc-7.1, it should be
because it's old and nobody's using it, not because we f'ed up and
released something we shouldn't have.

The mere fact that someone noticed that it's broken the SAME day we
released 1.45 suggests to me that people still care about this compiler.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing