Subject: Re: [boost] [1.45] Typeof fixed, point release? (was: Boost 1.45 compile error)
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-21 17:34:16

At Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:27:46 -0800,
Robert Ramey wrote:

> Eric Niebler wrote:
> > I have just fixed the typeof problem on the release branch. (I've also
> > verified that it makes the common_type regression go away without
> > causing additional failures for either the typeof or type_traits
> > libraries.)
> >
> > I know it's not our policy to issue point releases, but totally
> > breaking
> > a major header (boost/type_traits.hpp) for a primary test compiler
> > (msvc-7.1) seems like a good reason to make an exception. Does anybody
> > feel otherwise?
>
> Since msvc-7.1 doesn't appear in the test matrix for the release version
> I don't see how it can be considered a primary test compiler.

+1

Now, maybe the answer is "we messed up by not noticing that our tester
upgraded to vc-8" or something. But either way, the release managers
have to decide if this is important enough to issue a point release.
VC-7.1 _is_ getting a bit long in the tooth at this point...

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing