Subject: Re: [boost] [trac] Website performance, and disabling the code browser?
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-28 15:31:38

> > Can we tune SQLite?
> >
> > I've found big performance improvements with some of these pragmas...
> > PRAGMA journal_mode = OFF;

Very BAD - you would not be able to do rollback.

> > PRAGMA synchronous = OFF;

It actually has effect only on writes. So it does
not do complete fsync() after each transaction.

It really makes write transactions much faster but
you may find yourself with corrupted database if something
goes wrong.

Also I don't think that write translations are the bottle
neck of the service.

I would not recommend you doing such things.

I don't think trac is slow because of database, it is just
slow it is written in Python and it is very slow.

It is quite big misconception that DB is bottle neck.

If some searches are slow you may need indexes switching DB would not help.
but other then that, Sqlite3 is VERY fast and I don't think.

Once I did tests with Wordpress and it could generate 4-5 pages per second
when if I separated all SQL queries and executed them (about 20 per page)
I could run about 20x1000 queries per second. So I would not start
from blaming Sqlite.

Artyom