Subject: Re: [boost] Library for configuration file parsing
From: Hal Finkel (half_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-28 15:21:14

On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 10:36 -0700, Rob Riggs wrote:
> On 11/27/2010 07:24 PM, Hal Finkel wrote:
> > 4. A scripting language might not match user expectations. Especially on
> > POSIX-style systems, users (and even more so, administrators) have a
> > general understanding of the "look and feel" of a configuration file.
> For that, Boost Program Options offers a reasonable option. I think
> that this proposal for is for something with more features than one has
> with Program Options.

I think that is partially true. Boost.Program_options offers the
parse_config_file function, but that only parses a simple INI-like
format. For example, it is not natural to use named nested subsections
in an INI file.

Regardless, even parse_config_file will often be more appropriate than
using an embedded scripting language.

 -Hal