Subject: Re: [boost] [trac] Website performance, and disabling the code browser?
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-28 22:29:57

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 11/28/2010 4:47 PM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>>
>> What I found with a quick Googling is this:
>> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/SqLiteToMySql -- I'm positive you saw
>> this also while looking around I imagine. :D
>
> Yep, I've seen that. And the fact that it starts out by requiring an
> existing Trac install already running MySQL to get the schema seems weird to
> me. Even if it is understandable why. But the real problems with the Trac
> migrations I found is that none of them have been tested against the latest
> version (what we have).

Yeah, I was trying to look for those that worked with 0.12 and I
wasn't finding much luck with that.

>>> Is there a way for us to put Google Analytics on each page of Trac?
>>> That way we can see which pages are actually visited by people. I'm
>>> not very familiar with the template system but maybe someone else has
>>> already done a Trac module for putting Google Analytics in. I'll
>>> Google around some to see if I can find anything to this effect.
>>>

>> And a quick Googling around yielded this:
>> http://google.ufsoft.org/wiki/TracGoogleAnalytics -- maybe something
>> we can play around with to get a better idea what people are actually
>> doing on the Trac site. :)
>
> Not sure what that gains us. And in case I haven't posted this:

Well, it gives us a better idea as to things like time of day, where
the traffic is coming from, what pages they're looking at, etc. -- all
the good things that Google Analytics gives us for free.

Nonetheless the report breakdown below looks interesting.

> (%,seconds,path)
> 66.79  2450119482.93 /trac
> 66.27  2431033394.93 /trac/boost
> 19.24   705711654.42 /trac/boost/browser
> 18.91   693655902.26 /svn
> 18.91   693655839.11 /svn/boost
> 17.72   650181710.98 /svn/boost/!svn
> 17.07   626102510.20 /trac/boost/changeset
> 16.88   619327958.22 /svn/boost/!svn/vcc/default
> 16.88   619327958.22 /svn/boost/!svn/vcc
>  6.53   239583046.05 /doc
>  6.40   234697665.67 /trac/boost/browser/sandbox

This is % of what, time since, ever? Or time since a given start date?
Do we have ideas as to the daily traffic the trac site gets?

Also it looks like the browser is up at the top 3 most visited. Either
we disable that or enable caching the pages if that's even possible,
maybe look at putting varnish [0] in front of the Apache server. This
will require though that we lose the SSL for Trac, I'm not sure if
that's something people would be amenable to.

[0] -- http://www.varnish-cache.org/

Is the Trac Wiki hosted on SQLite too? Or is the Wiki storage system
external and doesn't touch the SQLite database?

Thanks Rene for taking time to engage in discourse here.

--
Dean Michael Berris
deanberris.com