Subject: Re: [boost] $100 reward to get Boost libraries to run in Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition
From: arvid_at_[hidden]
Date: 2010-12-04 01:09:48

Quoting Paul Bergen <bergen.p0_at_[hidden]>:

> [...]
> If a seasoned Boost dev agrees to do it, I'll send you money by paypal
> first, then give you VNC access to my dev box so you can login and see
> for yourself what's happening. My email is bergen.p0_at_gmail.com.
>
> Basically, I use bjam like this:
>
> bjam toolset=msvc-9.0 variant=release threading=multi link=shared
> --with-system --with-thread --with-date_time --with-regex
> --with-serialization stage
>
> then every time I do anything socket related, it crashes in xmemory,
> deallocate with the following backtrace:
>
> ntdll.dll!77eefadc()
> [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for
> ntdll.dll]
> ntdll.dll!77eb272c()
> ntdll.dll!77e7e1ef()

This smells a bit like link-incompatible compiler options.

You might want to make sure you're passing in identical options to
your client application as is passed in when building the boost library
itself.

Particularly important in this case, I imagine, is that both your
app and boost links against the run-time library the same way (i.e. statically
vs. dynamically, and on windows you have to make sure both
debug/release and multi-threaded/single-threaded match as well).

The difficult way of doing this is to invoke bjam with -n and look into
all the response files (.rsp) and make sure the same settings are passed
in when you build the source files of your app.

The probably slightly simpler way of solving this (or at least to verify
if this is in fact the issue) is to build boost and your app with the same
build tool. Either drag all the boost source files you need into your project
or build your project with boost build (the latter is probably slightly more
reliable).

Given that you're building boost with link=shared, make sure you're linking
against the multithreaded-release-DLL-runtime library in visual studio as well.

--
Arvid Norberg