Subject: Re: [boost] [netlib] Update: 0.9 will not be header-only
From: Thomas Heller (thom.heller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-05 06:31:06

joel falcou wrote:

> On 04/12/10 07:29, Eric Niebler wrote:
>> I think much can be done in both Proto and Fusion to speed things up. In
>> particular, I'd like Proto to do what MPL does with the preprocessed
>> headers. Fusion could probably do the same. Who wants to help? :-)
> Last time we spke of this, IIRC heller was about to have a look.

Correct ... I want to do this for months now ... haven't find the time yet.

If someone wants to do it first, it would be great.
The basic idea is to use wave as the preprocessor and use waves output
pragma to "unroll" the Preprocessor iterations. Once the initial step has
been done, it should be quite easy for other libraries to adapt to this
preprocessing technique.

The reason why I did not want to reuse the facilities developed for mpl is
that the perl skript seems to be tailored just for mpl's use. IMHO, the
effort to generalise this to enable preprocessing for other boost (or non
boost) libraries is too high, compared to the effort of defining some wave
specific macros.