Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review of IO and Toolbox extensions to Boost.GIL starts TOMORROW
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-06 10:24:03

Christian Henning wrote:
> There are no tests that read an erroneous images. I remember testing
> setjmp/longjmp on my laptop and it worked with Windows. If you insists
> I can add some tests to prove my point.

I'm not in a position to "insist" on anything, and it's not a question
of "proving a point". It seems to me that the combination of
setjmp/longjmp, C++-calling-C-calling-C++, exceptions and destructors
that is involved in this error-handling mechanism is going to poke into
a buggy corner on at least one of the platforms that Boost claims to
support, and it would be much better for that to be detected during
testing, rather that when a user accidentally tries it on a production system.

I would also say that if you have gone to the trouble of creating test
images that are corrupted in sufficiently subtle ways to trigger these
error paths, then it would be valuable to make them public.

Regards, Phil.