Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review of IO and Toolbox extensions to Boost.GIL starts TOMORROW
From: Domagoj Saric (dsaritz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-07 12:55:17

"Phil Endecott" <spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> I'm not in a position to "insist" on anything, and it's not a question of
> "proving a point". It seems to me that the combination of setjmp/longjmp,
> C++-calling-C-calling-C++, exceptions and destructors that is involved in
> this error-handling mechanism is going to poke into a buggy corner on at
> least one of the platforms that Boost claims to support, and it would be
> much better for that to be detected during testing, rather that when a
> user accidentally tries it on a production system.

IMO the easiest way to handle the setjmp/longjmp issues for those that have
to use the LibJPEG and/or LibPNG backends would be to simply skip the xjmp
functions altogether and throw proper C++ exceptions from the error
handlers...This might require (re)building the backend lib (and possibly
linking statically) with C++ exceptions enabled on some platforms but this
might prove to be easier in the end/long run...

--
"What Huxley teaches is that in the age of advanced technology, spiritual
devastation is more likely to come from an enemy with a smiling face than