Subject: Re: [boost] [Bug Sprint] Final report for the (late 2010) Bug Sprint
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-07 17:36:55

Roland Bock wrote:
> On 12/07/2010 04:52 PM, Vicente Botet wrote:
>>
>> Marshall Clow-2 wrote:
>>
>>> Well, the bug sprint is over. [ But that doesn't mean you have to
>>> stop fixing bugs if you don't want to! ]
>>>
>>> So - what did people think went well during the bug sprint?
>>> What went poorly?
>>> What can we do better next time (assuming that there is a next
>>> time)?
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I hope there will be a next time. I find we need this kind of
>> sprints to decrease the number of tickets.
>>
> As a long distance runner, I'd argue that sprints take you only a few
> meters and than you have to stop and catch your breath. Measured over
> a longer period of time, continuous jogging or even walking will take
> you
> much further.

If any boost libraries are a long distance from being bug free then we have much bigger problems. I think that as most libraries are only a few meters from closing all their open tickets at any given time a bug sprint is a great way to get a lot of tickets closed in a hurry and then we can all stop, catch our breath and go back to doing things that pay the bills.

I like the bug sprints because it reminds me to check the trac. I have a zero tolerance policy for open bugs on anything I maintain, but bugs can sit unnoticed if I don't get email letting me know there is a problem and I don't check the trac often since my expectation is that it should be empty. When there is a bug sprint I check the trac to see if I can contribute just in case a bug was filed that I wasn't aware of.

Regards,
Luke