Subject: Re: [boost] Boost on Sun CC without STLPort
From: Stefan Teleman (stefan.teleman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-07 22:07:55

Hi. My answers inline.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 20:41, Dean Michael Berris
<mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Okay, as I understand it the STL that Sun uses (libCstd) is a
> RogueWave derived STL -- which subsequently is the same library which
> became Apache stdcxx. Is stdcxx the new default or is libCstd still
> the default with later versions of the compiler/OS?

Yes, libCstd is in fact a very old version of RogueWave. But it's so
old, it is not ABI compatible with the latest Apache stdcxx V4 (I
think libCstd is based on RogueWave Version 2). And it was initially
severely crippled due to the C++ compiler limitations in Sun Workshop
5 (yes, it's that old!).The default STL library is still libCstd for
the Studio compilers, even for the latest versions (12, 12.1 and
12.2).

> Thanks, so I just need to check whether I can get access to Solaris
> 11. I'd guess if I would need to support older compilers then Boost
> would be a no-go.

Solaris 11 Express is a free[1] download here:

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/solaris-11-express-185123.html

If you don't really want to deal with downloading and installing
Solaris 11 Express, and already have a Solaris 10 release installed on
a box, please let me know, I can help with Apache stdcxx packages for
Solaris 10.

Apache stdcxx on Solaris is only supported for the Studio 12 or higher
compilers, and only on Solaris 10 or subsequent Solaris 10 Update
Releases. So no need to worry about older versions of Solaris or the
Studio compilers.

--Stefan

[1] For variable definitions of "free".

--