Subject: Re: [boost] Boost on Sun CC without STLPort
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-07 22:14:19

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Stefan Teleman
<stefan.teleman_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi. My answers inline.
>
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 20:41, Dean Michael Berris
> <mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Okay, as I understand it the STL that Sun uses (libCstd) is a
>> RogueWave derived STL -- which subsequently is the same library which
>> became Apache stdcxx. Is stdcxx the new default or is libCstd still
>> the default with later versions of the compiler/OS?
>
> Yes, libCstd is in fact a very old version of RogueWave. But it's so
> old, it is not ABI compatible with the latest Apache stdcxx V4 (I
> think libCstd is based on RogueWave Version 2). And it was initially
> severely crippled due to the C++ compiler limitations in Sun Workshop
> 5 (yes, it's that old!).The default STL library is still libCstd for
> the Studio compilers, even for the latest versions (12, 12.1 and
> 12.2).

Oh darn. So I guess it's up to me to try and rebuild all the other
libraries the app depends on to use either STLPort or Apache stdcxx.
If that can't happen, I guess I'm DOA with using Boost on Solaris. :(

>> Thanks, so I just need to check whether I can get access to Solaris
>> 11. I'd guess if I would need to support older compilers then Boost
>> would be a no-go.
>
> Solaris 11 Express is a free[1] download here:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/solaris-11-express-185123.html

Cool! :) I'll check that out and see if I can run it under VirtualBox OSE. ;)

> If you don't really want to deal with downloading and installing
> Solaris 11 Express, and already have a Solaris 10 release installed on
> a box, please let me know, I can help with Apache stdcxx packages for
> Solaris 10.
>
> Apache stdcxx on Solaris is only supported for the Studio 12 or higher
> compilers, and only on Solaris 10 or subsequent Solaris 10 Update
> Releases. So no need to worry about older versions of Solaris or the
> Studio compilers.

Interesting, thanks Stefan, I'll let you know soon enough.

Have a good one and thanks for the clarifications!

--
Dean Michael Berris
deanberris.com