Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Locale (was Re: [SQL-Connectivity] Is Boost interested in CppDB?)
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-15 13:01:12

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> vector<char> would be a suitable storage container for the raw data.  basic_string<char> implies string semantics.

But it also implies string *optimizations* (small string optimization, anyone?)
As an *implementation detail* of some other Unicode container jobbie,
basic_string makes sense.
It might even make sense to expose the raw basic_string (with
warnings), just for interoperability reasons. I'm sure there are lots
of interfaces out there that already deal with utf-8 in basic_strings.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing