Subject: Re: [boost] [OT] Open Source Forking and Boost (was Re: [SQL-Connectivity] Is Boost interested in CppDB?)
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-15 22:26:09

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Marshall Clow <mclow.lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2010, at 6:48 PM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>>
>> I agree with you, but getting the current maintainers -- who are
>> technically, not maintaining the libraries -- to yield maintenance at
>> least to the whole community (or to a larger set of contributors)
>> hasn't been "proven" yet at least for Boost. I know Boost.Thread had
>> been taken over successfully before, that precedent required having to
>> track down the (sole) original maintainer, getting him to agree and
>> yield to a specific person, sounds like a lot of work compared to just
>> people clicking a button to "fork". :D
>
> I didn't have any trouble "taking over" Boost.Array.
> I asked around, no one had any problems with it, and it was done.

Sure, but you did have to get the OK from the original maintainer right?

I just wish more people stepped up to do the same for other popular
libraries that get used but aren't actively maintained. Note that my
definition of actively maintained has something to do with the amount
of unresolved issues over time on Trac.

Actually, now, I wish there was really a guild I can participate in to
"level up" my Boost contribution-fu. ;)

--
Dean Michael Berris
deanberris.com