Subject: Re: [boost] Respecting a projects toolchain decisions
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-28 09:08:01

Klaim wrote:

>>No, I mean that I'll be opposed to visiting 4 different issue trackers
> for 4 different components I maintain. I want to see a single list of
> issues on my plate, so that I can prioritise them together.
>
> Isn't it more a issue tracking problem? TRAC is well known to be able to
> manage only 1 project (that will change with coming versions)
> I've used RedMine to compare with TRAC, it allows managing hierarchies of
> projects and having cross-project ticket requests too.
> I'm not advocating for a change to RedMine but just that TRAC could be
> updated (later not now) to manage libraries as different projects (that can
> share the same repo or not). I'm saying this because I know that the
> component field alone isn't powerful enough when it comes to managing
> different modules or libraries inside the same organisation. It's better
> used to say if the ticket is about documentation or not for example.
> That said, I'm talkign about features not available yet in TRAC and I don't
> know exactly the cost of moving a big tracker database to another one, so
> ignore my humble comment as you wish :)

I have heard positive comments about Redmine, too, exactly concerning its
ability to work with multiple projects better than Trac. However, I don't
have practical experience with it, so whether it is better than Trac enough
to migrate is something we should determine when/if Dean or something else
posts a specific proposal to move from Trac.

- Volodya