Subject: Re: [boost] Respecting a projects toolchain decisions
From: Klaim (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-28 10:12:44

(Mybe that should be moved in another "thread")
About moving from TRAC, I'm not the most experienced here but my personal
research about this specific thing (bug tracking tools) came to this :

 1. TRAC is at the moment well thought for big libraries (looks like
implementors are really experimented and think a lot before coding), better
than Redmine that is still young (in my view at least).
 2. TRAC will have the major feature everyone ask for in coming releases :
multiple projects management. Redmine have it from the start. TRAC schedule
is always (very) late so it depends on when you want what.
 3. Redmine is really powerful on the user experience side : easier to do
anything than TRAC. However, some improvement in TRAC makes me think that
some enhancements are going on that might help get back to the Redmine
level. But...
 4. ...Redmine evolves clearly faster than TRAC. Lot of releases per year,
almost all easy to update. Even if Redmine lacks some features I'd like to
see in both TRAC and Redmine, it have better chance to implement them
first.
 5. Ive posted tickets on redmine project telling what I think is wrong in
it. I did the same in TRAC too. I can provide links if you want, but I'm not
sure my experience is really worth so let me know.
 6. I've worked with Jira before. It's good too but I think the request
interface is as bad as the TRAC one (that might be personal). Although,
there don't seem to be any way to setup a specific ticket workflow (that is
vital to adapt the tool to your specific team organisation) but I'm not sure
about that (didn't have access to the server where our JIRA was hosted to
see how it's configured).
 7. A lot of people (including the OGRE library implementation leader) tried
to move from TRAC to Redmine with success. I though to do the same for my
bigger project but some things in Redmine makes me think that I should stay
with TRAC for the moment.

So my current thinking is that TRAC is good enough if you have already a
project in it, would be even better if the next release comes not to late(
because it is almost always too late) and it's a good idea to watch Redmine
evolve because it might get really quick to the point it's the defacto TRAC
killer.

That said, if boost does split libraries (whatever how), that would imply
having multiple projects in TRAC.

My 2 cents on this specific point.