Subject: Re: [boost] Respecting a projects toolchain decisions
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-01 04:33:07

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> At Tue, 28 Dec 2010 19:25:52 +0800,
> Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>>
>> Sure, but the whole point that you have a central place to query the
>> information is what's broken -- especially if you have to resort to
>> these "hacks" just to filter out what's important for you.
>>
>> Imagine if you had one issue tracker per Boost library. Then you don't
>> have to worry about crafting the queries to get the relevant
>> information in the first place.
>
> I disagree with you on this one.  Even if I had every project in a
> separate tracker, I would still want something to aggregate the issues
> so I could prioritize and look in one place for all the things that
> are relevant to me... see Redmine, for example.

Right, I guess I never really had that issue as I generally want to be
in a certain "mode" when I'm looking through issues.

GitHub makes that really simple since I only get notifications on
issues I'm involved in -- ones where I either commented or posted
myself -- and then I can go look at the issues relevant to the library
I'm working on from that library's issue tracker.

I think this is also the reason why I don't like the Trac approach
where all the issues just get piled up in the same container and you
have to filter it out actively.

Maybe it's just the way I work that's different from everyone else's
preferred way of working on things?

--
Dean Michael Berris
about.me/deanberris