Subject: Re: [boost] [wiki] Warning Guidelines for VC
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-01 09:58:00

Nor me! Not for "the most absurdly ambiguous language".

> I often think of the Boost community as people who need to target multiple
> compilers/platforms. That might be wrong or too narrow. As far as Boost
> libraries are concerned, I think this is a non-issue. The code has to work
with
> various compilers either at their least common conforming level or at
various
> compiler specific alternatives.

> I don't see how the flag actually could help unless
> you were developing only on MSVC and then trying to port to other
platforms.

But I think this is exactly what is true for many developers, so the earlier
the MS-only users get warning
that they are in MS-only-land the better. I had hoped that /Za would
achieve this.

> > So unless there are other views, I propose to change the 'Dealing with
> > warnings guidelines' to warn that the option is 'definitely dodgy'.
> > (mainly by a link to this helpful post).
> >
> > Although /Za might help a little during development, loading and
> > testing on the trunk remains the definitive test of portability.

I am moving towards Michael's viewpoint, but

I'd like more views on this before I make a change.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK