Subject: Re: [boost] status of sp_counted_base_solaris.hpp
From: Graham Bennett (graham-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-12 10:25:18

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:00:28AM +0000, Phil Endecott wrote:
> Graham Bennett wrote:
>> I'm interested in getting boost::shared_ptr to use atomic ops on
>> Solaris. I notice there is an implementation using the OS-provided
>> atomics in boost/detail/sp_counted_base_solaris.hpp
>
> About a year ago I got excited by the idea that Helge Bahmann's
> proposed Boost.Atomic library could become a single place for
> platform-specific atomic code to live, rather than having it
> replicated in each place that needs it (e.g. sp_counted_base). I even
> got as far as writing an sp_counted_base that used Boost.Atomic.
>
> I don't know what has stalled Boost.Atomic, but I still think this is
> a good approach. So rather than modifying sp_counted_base you might
> consider making Boost.Atomic work on your platform, especially if
> there are other things in your code that need atomic ops.

Hi Phil,

Thanks, I'll take a look at Boost.Atomic. I do actually have working
atomic ops using inline assembler for the platform in my own code that
could be imported. Including them is a little bit of a pain from a
compilation point of view though, since the inline file needs to be
passed to every compilation unit with Sun Studio.

cheers,

Graham

--
Graham Bennett