Subject: Re: [boost] [General] Always treat std::strings as UTF-8
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-18 11:23:53

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:04:29 +0000
Alexander Lamaison <awl03_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:54:57 -0500, Chad Nelson wrote:
>
>> Why delegate them to another library? Those classes already have
>> efficient, flexible, and correct iterator-based template code for the
>> conversions between the UTF-* types. I'd rather just farm out the
>> stuff that those types are weak at, like converting to and from
>> system-specific locales.
>
> If they can do that, that's great! The conversion code was so short
> that I assumed it wasn't a full, complete conversion algorithm.

They're complete, and accurate. The algorithms aren't overly complex,
they just translate between different forms of the exact same data,
after all.

> After all, something the size of ICU is apparently necessary for full
> Unicode support!
>
> Please forgive my scepticism :P

Of course! :-) It's an understandable confusion, full Unicode support
involves a *lot* more than what those classes handle, or are meant to.

--
Chad Nelson
Oak Circle Software, Inc.