Subject: Re: [boost] GIL io_new review
From: Domagoj Saric (dsaritz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-18 17:11:20

"Phil Endecott" <spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Domagoj Saric wrote:
>> Anyways the LibTIFF tile based access can now be used to rewrite my
>> original
>> benchmark code so that you can run it on a *NIX machine...
>>
>> Here's the code: http://codepad.org/bKHEWPKb
>
> As far as I can tell, that code expects the input TIFF to be in
> internally-tiled format, and it creates output images whose size is the
> same as the internal tiles. Is that right?

Yes, because that is the format of the test image that Mateusz and I agreed
to use for our tests...
As explained in this recent post (addressed to
you)http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2011/01/175067.php the link to
that code was meant only as a usage example...

> I may have lost track of what you're trying to do here, but that's not
> what my original example was doing. I don't think I've ever seen an
> internally-tiled TIFF "in the wild", even in applications where it seems
> the most appropriate format e.g. large maps. Even when the input does
> have this form, the tile size will not in general match the required
> output tile size.

The Marble GeoTIFFs seem to be tiled...
Anyways, as explained in the post above mentioned, what I was trying to do
(and hopefully did do) was to add a low level interface (that you asked for)
that enables things like row and/or tile access...

--
"What Huxley teaches is that in the age of advanced technology, spiritual
devastation is more likely to come from an enemy with a smiling face than