Subject: Re: [boost] [general] What will string handling in C++ look like inthe future [was Always treat ... ]
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-19 13:27:17

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>> Inevitably a Unicode standard will be adapted where every character
>> of every language will be represented by a single fixed length
>> number of bits.
>
> This was the prevailing thinking once. First this number of bits was
> 16, which incorrect assumption claimed Microsoft and Java as victims,
> then it became 21 (or 22?). Eventually, people realized that this
> will never happen even if we allocate 32 bits per character, so here
> we are.

well put !!!

This is the problem of trying to impose a view upon the future. No
one really sees far enough ahead to do that. The best we can do
is to allow proposals to be implemented so they can be then
sorted out by "software evolution". It's the age old argument
of central planning - intelligent design - etc. vs. market capitalism,
evolution, etc. Admitadly, it goes against the grain of control
freaks like us, but we have to live with it. And things do get
better. Imagine if somehow 32 bit Unicode had been imposed
upon us!

This is the essence of my argument that the only way forward
is to propose and implement a better way forward and then
try to sell it.

Robert Ramey