Subject: Re: [boost] [general] What will string handling in C++ look like in the future [was Always treat ... ]
From: Ivan Le Lann (ivan.lelann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-20 02:32:35

Artyom wrote :

> If you take a look on All C++ frameworks they
> all have a way to convert their string to std::string
> and backwards.
>
> C++ hadn't picked yet, but C++ has string
> and very good one.

Please allow me to question this last statement.
I'm struggling to follow this thread, but there is one thing that emerge
from this effort : encoded strings are dangerous beasts you don't want
to touch, you should pass them as-is or use an expert library to analyze
or modify them.

Do you think that std::string and its fairly open interface reflects
this good practice ?
As a user, I would like to see encoded strings as something a little bit
more opaque.

Ivan.