Subject: Re: [boost] namespace boost?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-20 11:45:41

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 19/01/11 18:20, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>> At Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:56:58 +0000,
>> Mateusz Loskot wrote:

>>> Speaking of names and (my) personal preferences, Boost.Image
>>> or Boost.Raster would be better than GIL.
>>
>> +1!
>
> I don't want to be too poisonous here, wondering what would be a
> procedure to rename library? A renaming review? Simple poll?

As one of the main complainers regarding cryptic library names,
let me say that trying to address after the fact is a really bad idea.
Maintaining an already accepted library is a much larger task than
it would first appear. The idea that a maintainer is on the hoook for
what ever some other group "decides" (none of whose members would
actually be doing the work) is not really realistic. The time for dealing
with this is during the review. One of the strengths of the review
system is that it actually provides a design cutoff. This is necessary
to actually get anything accomplished. The lack of the "cutoff" is
likely the single frequent of failed projects in all sectors - industry,
government, and private domain. Lack of a cutoff is another name
for "feature creep"

Robert Ramey