Subject: [boost] Review request: auto-index tool
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-21 07:13:56

I'm not sure if we're doing reviews of tools - we haven't in the past - but
I thought it would be good to get feedback anyway...

Auto-index is a tool for semi-automating the task of adding an index to
quickbook/boostbook/doxygen/docbook documentation. Auto-index acts at the
docbook level to scan for terms in a concordance script-file, but can also
scan headers for classes, typedefs, functions and macros to index and a lot
more besides. Auto-index supports multiple indexes (for example class,
function, macro and typedef indexes out of the box), and can either delegate
the actual index formatting to the XSL stylesheets, or produce the index
itself (faster, also better looking for HTML indexes).

Code is in the sandbox under tools/auto_index, documentation can be viewed
online at:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/tools/auto_index/doc/html/index.html

Currently the math, type_traits and spirit libraries are using this tool in
trunk to produce indexes - take a look at those libraries to see the sort of
indexes produced.

Cheers, John.